10 Treated After CO Leak In Clay County House Boat

Clay County officials are crediting carbon monoxide detectors in helping save 10 people on Dale Hollow Lake Tuesday.

EMS Director Natalie Boone said the patients noticed the detectors going off the night before they experienced symptoms.

“They can make a huge difference. Some stated to us that they had noticed it going off last night and didn’t think anything of it,” Boone said. “Then this morning, by the time they woke up, they were already showing signs of minor to mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Had they not woken up when they did, it could have been a much worse outcome.”

Boone said the patients were staying on house boats when the apparent carbon monoxide leak occurred.

“They had two house boats, tied those up next to each other last night, and woke up this morning with headaches, feeling dizzy and sick to their stomachs,” Boone said. “I think their carbon monoxide detector had started going off at some point last night, and they woke up with the headaches and the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

At least one patient was treated at the scene. The other patients were transported to a hospital near their hometown in Burkesville, KY by request. At least five patients were minors.

According to Boone, the patients had rented the house boats from Holly Creek Marina. Officials are continuing to investigate what might have caused the carbon monoxide leak.

Published by Logan Weaver

News Reporter and Graphic Designer

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: